Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

After starting this book I harsh realization hit me in that one day our society might follow this path of book burning. It seems that more and more we worry about what is politically correct and we ban books that might be offensive to a certain group of people, but at what cost are we doing so? Is it worth banning a good book because it brings up issues like racism or violence? What types of books are replacing these that we are not letting our society read. With web sites like sparknotes.com and other book summary sites, are we missing out on the true importance of a story by getting the summarized version? I am starting to see a trend with this literature class, which is beware of the future. All the books we read show possible outcomes of what could be with our futures if we choose certain paths as a society. The fact that all the books we have read seem to look at the future in a negative way are kinda a driver to make a change in the direction that our society is heading. I guess the question comes down to what changes do we have to make as a society in order to keep our future looking bright?

3 comments:

  1. It is scary to think what path we might take. I mean there are book burnings today and books such as this one once being banned. I would never have thought about any of that in all the years of my life. I think the government has a good reason to fear educated people but as well people of the such to fear the government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I never thought about this in the way of lit class being all about the different futures we could end up having. It's kind of scary, I don't think I would want any of these futures that we've read about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You brought up a very good point that all the books we are reading in lit class are about different futures. I never really thought about it. I was shocked to find out that this book had been banned at one point.

    ReplyDelete